Melanie Sillince, the owner and Managing Director of Core Competency has over 30 years’ experience in the Conference and Event Management industry. Having started her own company in 1988, she was one of the pioneers of the industry in South Africa. Her competencies lie in strategic thinking, people and supplier management, negotiations, managing large, complicated budgets and an ability to think on her feet. Her extensive experience in programming, managing information systems for the scheduling of one-to-one business meetings, general secretariat, organisation of seminars and workshops, sponsorships and protocol are an asset to any project team.
She has managed or been actively involved in over 300 local and international conferences and congresses in various industries. She was the project director for the COP 17 Climate Change Response Expo in 2011 reporting directly to the Dept. of Environmental Affairs and more recently managed the logistics for COP 11 held in Windhoek, Namibia in September 2013.
Core Competency’s Unique Selling Proposition (USP) is that all conferences are managed by Melanie whose responsibility is similar to that of a conductor, bringing all the variety of services and suppliers to order, acting as a conduit between the client and all the people involved with the event, ensuring that everyone plays to the same tune. We have experience in dealing with high profile international delegates; Heads of State, Cabinet Ministers and captains of industry who have attended many of the conferences we have managed. The client is not left with a junior staff member to manage their conference.
The combined experience of our “dream team” is without equal in Sub-Saharan Africa. It is a blend of local, regional and international skills and experience. This includes, amongst many other local and international conferences:
- African Micro Finance Conference ( held for the 4th time in South African and all managed by Melanie Sillince
- International Statistical Conference – Durban – Statistic SA
- International Securities Conference – Cape Town – Financial Services Board
- COP 17 held in Durban in 2011
- COP 11 held in September 2013 in Windhoek
- The BRICS Summit held in Durban in 2013
- 2nd World Congress on Healthy Ageing 2015
We believe in growing SMMEs into this ever growing industry. All the staff used during the build up to and during any event will be drawn from students who are not yet gainfully employed. They will be mentored and provided with a Certificate of Competency on completion of the project.
Definition: An event – An official gathering of people for a pre-defined objective
Our proposal methodology is based upon obtaining as much detail as possible prior to an event:
These include –
- The objective of the event – (the clients anticipated outcomes)
- The demographics of the intended audience.
- The venue requirements – (location, size and facilities)
- The venue parameters – (power source, distance from essential services, flexibility)
- The image of the event – (the lasting impression for the audience)
- A budgetary indication.
Our working methodology is based on the following parameters –
- Constant communication with the principle, suppliers and stakeholders
- Practical timelines and work schedules
- Employment of local SMME’s – (where possible)
- Competent and capable suppliers
- An adherence to the budget
- Technical competence – (to be able to see and hear the message)
- Compliance with Health and Safety regulations
- Social and political sensitivities.
- Maintenance of the principle’s image.
INTRODUCTION TO UNDERSTANDING EVENT MANAGEMENT: MASTERCLASS
Our Introduction to Understanding Event Management workshop is aimed at providing in-house operational staff with a general understanding of how to identify client and venue expectations. These include venue requirements for catering, accommodation, meeting logistics, health and safety requirements, infrastructural limitations, Audio Visual systems and Environmental issues.
The workshop covers:
Analysing the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats to your organisation SWOT analysis/what is an event?/What are the roles & responsibilities of an Event Co-ordinator/Understanding your client/Audio visual & risk management/what are the duties of your client/expectations of your client/asking the right questions before quoting/contracting